Fórsa is mobilising members to take part in the Housing is a Human Right national demonstration on Saturday, 7th April.
The demonstration, organised by the National Homeless and Housing Coalition, will assemble at the Garden of Remembrance, Parnell Square at 1pm.
Fórsa lead organiser Joe O’Connor explained, “Fórsa has been part of this coalition since its formation. The union is standing together with other unions, community groups, homeless advocacy organisations and service providers to raise our collective voice in this time of national crisis.
While the country has managed to survive a dreadful economic crisis, the continuing problem of homelessness, and the shortage of housing nationally, is a stark reminder that our national recovery is far from complete. What we’re witnessing is a housing emergency that demands immediate action.
- Declare the housing and homelessness crisis an emergency
- Provide a minimum of 10,000 public housing units per year on public land
- Make housing a constitutional right
- End evictions, bank repossessions and sell-offs to vulture funds
- Legislate for security of tenure, real rent control and affordable rents
- End B&B and hotel emergency accommodation, and improve emergency accommodation facilities.
Follow the campaign:
Transport from Cork
The Cork branch has arranged transport for all Fórsa members in Cork to travel 7th April. The bus will leave Cork at 8:00am sharp from South Mall, outside the Imperial Hotel, arriving in Temple Street, Dublin for 12.15pm to liaise with Fórsa representatives and to collect Fórsa placards, banners and flags. The bus will leave Dublin at 4.30pm sharp from Parnell Square for the return journey. Please contact Donal Guerin by Monday, April 2nd to reserve a place.